Digging in Poop

Now I realize that people do strange things with their medications: flushing it down the toliet, dump it in the sink, vacumning it up, etc.
But there is one thing that I cant wrap my mind around: Digging in their poop for it. Now even I like to admire what comes out of my ass once in a while, but it stays behind the safety fluid before riding the final whirlpool to its destiny. Some people however are more “hands on”.
I shit you not (har har)! I get calls about people complaning that their extended release medication “isnt working” because “they found their pill in their poop”. Is this like an easter egg hunt? Do people feverishly dig in their poop looking for stuff like gold coins and pirate treasure? Its shit, let it go.
Of course we all know that most extended release formulations of potassium, morphine, etc will indeed leave an intact (yet empty) tablet in the ole poop, but try explaining this to a psychotic patient who digs through his/her own poop (heres a tip: you’ll have a better chance reasoning to the turd than the patient).
Then you have the truly sick. The people who not only dig through their poop, but save what they have found in their poop and bring it in to show you. We even had one patient take that poop-ahoy tablet and swallow it again! In fact, we even had one patient go through his/her mothers poop! What the hell is up with that?
So please, take our word for it when we say that you’ll find tablets in your poop. If you do indeed still wish to dig through your brown babies, then please call in your Rx and dont touch anything while you’re here.

1. anony says:

eww.. can’t imagine them finding in the poop and eating it again!! that’s sick!
    anyway, i read in my lecture notes that the potassium sustained release osmotic pump design tablets have higher tendency to cause gastric ulceration. Cos the outlet of the osmotic cell may end up upside-down in the GI tract, releasing much higher local concentration of chlorides on the tract walls, thus inflammation and ulceration.
    i love reading your posts!
    – from: singapore pharmacy student

2. Mel says:

OMG this blog is so funny because it’s true!!!! I’ve been on a mat leave for a year (yes we get one year paid in Canada) :) but am a Canadian pharmacist and all these stories bring it all back! Most things are pretty similar for patients here too.
    Haven’t read through all the posts yet, but guaranteed I am bookmarking it to see them all.
    Here, the people on welfare have to pay $2 for the first 3 prescriptions each month (which they get back on next month’s cheque)…and almost every single time, they “don’t have the money but REALLY REALLY NEED the meds” (nevermind that they just bought 2 cartons of cigarettes at the front till). Don’t you love people???
    Keep up the rant, I’ll keep up reading :)

3. Beverly says:

Bwahahahah – I guess that’s why package inserts say things like this:
    “The WELLBUTRIN XL tablet is covered by a shell that slowly releases the medicine inside
    your body. You may notice something in your stool that looks like a tablet. This is normal.
    This is the empty shell passing from your body.”
    We need warnings for everything these days.

4. unkle mikey says:

enjoyed your poop story …. unkle mikey

5. NJ says:

You owe me a new monitor! Coffee and cream dripping everywhere. Working in an ER, I’ve had to deal with this type of insanity. How you don’t help yourself to a few tranqs of choice is beyond me.
    I tell folks at work, “Monkeys have more sense.” Thanks for proving me right.

6. tricia rowan says:

Why does my husband’s revlimid have to cost $10,000/month??? he is being raped by you ANGRY pharmacists and his greedy ass oncologists……we have to lsoe everything because he has a job, is responsible, has SORRY ASS insurance, and was forward thinking enough to purchase a home and land, and have a savings account. now he has multiple myeloma, and in addition to paying YOU GUYS all this money,he is going to die at the end of evrything anyway. TELL EM WHAT JUSTIFIES THIS GROSS FINANCIAL RAPING OF A DYING MAN??:?
    One Pissed OFF Wife

7. pharmd07 says:

Pissed Off Wife –
    Don’t get mad at the middle man! Why don’t you ask your friendly insurance company why his revlimid costs $10,000/month? It’s not the pharmacist’s fault you have crappy insurance. Yes, you’re mad, but why don’t you focus your anger on the people who are ACTUALLY to blame. You think your pharmacist is pocketing your $10,000/month? Think again. Kinda sad you are lashing out at innocent parties who have no control over how much you pay per month. One positive, better to be pissed off than pissed on.

8. Lisa says:

I for one am glad I saw this site. I have been getting more anxious everytime I see one of those tablets in my poop. I couldn’t understand what it was. Now I am relieved.